What is a Low Slope/Flat Roof?
A Low Slope/Flat Roof is the 5th wall of the building that is constructed by a Commercial Roofing Company that has specially trained technicians to build the system.
The Low Slope Roofing System generally consist of a roof deck, thermal insulation, coverboards, tapered insulation, fasteners, adhesives, the roofing membrane and the appropriate flashings. Metal accessories complete the system when properly installed around the perimeter of the roofing system.
Drains, scuppers or gutters with downspouts complete the removal of any standing water on the surface of the roof.
Proper design of the Roofing System is critical to the intended usage of the building. Office buildings, retail spaces and warehouses all require different designs for your long-term investment of the 5th wall.
Now, whether you have an existing roof or a system that has been recently installed, even roof system will LEAK at some point in it’s Life Cycle.
What are some of the Common Issues to Roof Failures?
- Blisters – Gaseous Water Vapor trapped within the roofing system
- Open Laps – Generally indicated poor workmanship
- Splits – Often where the membrane meets the perimeter metal accessories, Building Movement, Thermal Shock, and Lightning Strikes
- Punctures – HVAC Techs, Maintenance personnel, Window washers, Painters, Tenants, Storm Debris
- Penetrations – Pitch pans and Sealers, Pipe Boots, Drains, Curbs, Gas Pipes, Cables
- Wrinkles – Membrane/Flashings caused by poor workmanship, poor adhesion, stress, potential, areas of rupture.
- Flashings – Wall/Curb flashings not properly fastened at the top, improperly installed to adjoining metal accessories, poor workmanship of pipe boots and pitch pans
- Surface – Wind damage, foot traffic, UV Degradation, Improper repairs, Aggregated surface, Ponding Water.
- Fasteners – Wind stress on Mechanically Attached Systems, Screws backing out of the Roof Insulation/Wall anchors for Termination bars
- Abuse/Neglect – Owner does not have an Annual Maintenance Program.
Why Do Roofs Fail Prematurely?
- Poor Workmanship contributes to a majority of problems
- Damage caused by Mother Nature – storm debris, wind damage, hail, snow and ice and UV degradation.
- Ponding Water that sits on a roof surface longer than 24-48 hours
- Post Installation Punctures – HVAC Technicians, Maintenance personnel, Window Washers, Sign Installers, and overall foot traffic.
- Tenant Improvements – Satellite dished, cables, grease vents, pipes, new HVAC units.
- Improper repairs mad to existing roofs using inferior materials and/or lack of proper training
- Owner has NO formal Maintenance program for the roofing system.
All Seasons Roofing has a – Roof Repair and Maintenance Program that is specifically designed for each type of Roofing System in the Market!
“WE HAVE YOU COVERED”